Monday, May 26, 2008

How Hungry Are You?


The Hungry Wolf


A skinny and hungry wolf, by chance met a well nourished dog. After the salutation, the wolf asked:

- You look so good, where do you come from? What do you eat to be of such a good spirit? I am stronger than you and I starve.

- You would have the same fortune - the dog responded simply - if you wanted to serve my master the way I do it.

- What services are these? - the wolf asked.

- To guard the door and at night defend the house against the thieves.

- Good! I'll do it. I bear rain and snow in the forests leading a miserable life. How much easier it would be to live under a roof and calmly satiate my hunger with abundant food!

- Allright - said the dog - come with me. While they walked, the wolf saw the bare neck of the dog, caused by the chain.

- Tell me, friend - it said - where does that come from?

- That's nothing.

- Please, please tell me.

- When I am too unquiet - the dog replied - they tie me during the day so that I sleep when there is light and I watch when the night arrives. When the twilight comes, I walk wherever I want. They bring the food to me without asking for it, the master gives me the bones from his own table, the servants give me the rests and the sauces which nobody wants anymore. This way, my belly fills up without having to work.

- But if you wish to leave and go wherever you want, do they allow you to do that?

- No, not at all - said the dog.

- Well then - said the wolf - enjoy your goods. I don't want to be king in exchange of my freedom.

-

No comments: